When studying at Leipzig University, you do not only study at one of the oldest universities in Germany, but also in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Before you can go on a discovery tour yourself, we will introduce our city to you very briefly here.
Neither too big NOR too small
City of trade fairs, music, books and sports
Leipzig is an attractive and vibrant city with currently approximately 600.000 inhabitants.
One can quickly get from one end of the city to the other: by tram, bus, bicycle or by foot.
The historic centre will enthuse you, just as the green countryside around the city will.
Here you will find some advice for "Leipzig rookies":
- discover Leipzig (German/English)
- Sight-seeing in Leipzig (German/English)
YOUNG AND CREATIVE
Just like in any other city, young families and students create a special atmosphere.
Leipzig is one of the most popular university cities in Germany. More than 40.000 young people are currently studying in Leipzig.
On the one hand, this is due to the very long tradition and, on the other hand, due to the variety of study programmes. The study programmes offered refer to ONE university and other academic institutions:
- Universität Leipzig: the biggest academic institution of the city involving approximately 30.000 students and 14 faculties – a traditional full-scale university embedding a broad range of humanities, social sciences, natural and life sciences and last but not least, sports science. Being founded in 1409, Leipzig University is ranked the second oldest university in Germany.
ITK is affiliated with one of its 14 faculties – the Sports Science Faculty.
- For international students: Uni Leipzig International (German/English)
Other academic institutions (a selection):
- Leipzig University of Applied Sciences (HTWK)
- Academy of Fine Arts Leipzig
- University of Music and Theatre “Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy” Leipzig
- University of Applied Sciences for Telecommunications Leipzig (HfTL)
- HHL Leipzig Graduate School of Management
All universities as well as academies and their associated institutes are distributed all over the city, providing the whole city with a university flair.
BODY AND SOUL
There is something for everyone to balance out one’s studies, may it be dancing and music, sports and fitness, theatre, cinema, museums, restaurants and bars, outdoor events or pure relaxation.
A healthy mind lives in a healthy body. To achieve or maintain a good physical condition for studying, the “Centre for university sports” at Leipzig University (Hochschulsport der Universität Leipzig) offers sports courses from a pool of more than 160 sports – ranging from outdoor sports to dancing and fitness to ball sports.
- Zentrum für Hochschulsport
Centre for university sports (German)